Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Halloween Pre-School Storytime

So despite all my best intentions that had me ordering books for a shapes storytime far in advance, I was struck by a whim, and I am planning a Halloween storytime for pre-schoolers tomorrow.  I was inspired, in part, by my desire to read Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance by Keith Graves, a delightful little rhyming story about a green, Frankenstein-y kind of monster who dances till his brain and eyeball fall out.  Planning to follow that book up with If You're a Monster and You Know It.

Second book will be Mouse's First Halloween by Lauren Thompson.  I think this book should mitigate some of the fears that four-year-olds might have about Halloween.  On every page, Mouse hears something that make him say "Eek!" and then the books says "what could that be?"  Then you turn the page and it's something innocuous like smiley bats, or falling apples, "that's all, not so scary after all."  I like squeaking out the "eek" and then being very dramatic about "what could it be?"  I think this books will lend itself well to reading aloud.

I wish I could play music for these groups, and I wish I had a copy of H A Double L O to share with them.  Instead, I'm going to sing them Flutter, Flutter, Little Bat.  I like the words they have written, rather than the words in the video. 

My third book is There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer, which I was fortunately able to find in big book format, so that'll add some interest for the kids.  Follow that up with Five Little Monsters Jumping on the Bed.

We'll finish out with the classic Go Away, Big Green Monster by Ed Emberley.

No comments:

Post a Comment